” Welcome Message “
The Crocodile Prize Organising Committee 2017 is pleased to announce the launch of the seventh Crocodile Prize Awards. Aspiring and established Papua New Guinea citizen writers and illustrators are invited to enter original written work and/or illustrations. Categories include; poetry, essay and journalism, heritage and children’s’ writing.
Winners will be awarded prize money and along with the best entries, published in the annual Crocodile Prize Anthology.
MORE SPONSORS TO BE ANNOUNCED THIS 2017 !
- ENTRY IS FREE !
- What is the entry level ? Papua New Guinean citizen of Any Age.
- When do entries open & Close ? Entries Open on 27th February, 2017 and close on 30th September, 2017
- How do to submit in my entries ? Send Your Entries Via Email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All Entries must be sent to this email address.
Competition Openings & Closing
The competition begins 27th February, 2017. All entries must be received by September 30th 2017, and finalists will be announced on October 30th
Winners will be announced In November.
Where to Download the Entry Forms
CRITERIA FOR ENTERING THE CROCODILE PRIZE
Original pieces may be submitted on any subject that exists within the 11 Awards.
- Book of the Year ( not novella or short story- Collection of short story is welcome)
- Poetry ( up to 100 words
- Essays and Journalism ( up to 2000 words)
- Heritage Writing ( up to 2000 words )
- Writing for Children ( up to 1000 words)
- Illustrations ( up to 4 illustrations on one page)
- Short Stories ( up to 2000 words)
- Best Short Play ( up to 30 pages) * NOTE
- FB & NBC Radio Category ( refer to its own rules)
- Emerging young Writers
- Woman in Writing
For the The winners of the next two categories (10 & 11), they will be identified by the information they provide in the Entry form, their participation in other literature activities and their contribution to Crocodile Prize and also the entries.
CROCODILE PRIZE COMPETITION RULES
Please read the following very carefully.
- The competition will only accept the specified font: Calibri (Body) with a Font Size of 12.
- Word count: (Depends on the categories – refer to each prizes for word count)
- A writer is only allowed Three (3) entries per category but no writer should win more than one prize.
- The competition will not accept religious diatribes or promoting religious beliefs.
- The competition will not accept political propaganda.
- An entry is thrown out if there is more than 5 grammatical errors.
- The competition will accept only entries in PDF format.
- Submissions must be new original work that has not been previously published (this includes articles published in your school newspaper, on other websites or blogs, or even as part of your graduate thesis). Any references made within the work to other studies or publications must be credited and noted. However, submissions will not be considered and may be removed if they are primarily a collection of links to other articles.
- Copyright remains with the author but prize winners must give permission to include the work on Crocodile Prize Blog and the face book page for a period of up to twelve months.
- Entries cannot be returned to contestants; so please keep a copy.
- An acknowledgement will be made on all entries received.
- Winners will be notified individually.
- Committee Members and families (immediate nuclear) of Committee members and employees of Crocodile Prize are not eligible to enter the competition.
- The Judge will be volunteers of the Crocodile Prize with integrity and standing, experiences skills and knowledge in the work as a judge.
- Five (5) Finalists will then be chosen by a group of specialized individual with the skills in the area of the literary feature. Five of the selected finalist will be posted on the Crocodile Prize face book page. The public who have access to face book will vote. These votes will be used to identify the winner of popularity contest while the Judges will pass on the 5 selected to the sponsors to choose the winner for the year under the different categories.
- Prizes will be awarded to the authors of the articles that receive just the first placing.
- A grand prize of K 5,000.00 in cheque will be given at the prize giving event and a confirmation of a spot to have the article published in the annual anthology. The Emerging young writers will have Five (5) winners all getting equal Prize money of K1, 000.00 each. The prize will be given out as a cheque will be given at the prize giving event and a confirmation of a spot to have the article published in the annual anthology. Women in Writing Category will be given to the outstanding piece and the potential of the entrant. The winner will be identified from all the categories put together. Each of the finalists of all the categories will also receive a crocodile Prize T-shirt and a Crocodile carving as a commemoration of being short listed.
- The competition begins 27th February, 2017. All entries must be received by September 30th 2017, and finalists will be announced on October 30th
HOW TO KEEP YOURSELF WELL INFORMED & UPDATED
So what can you do even before February 15th?
- Check our Crocodile Prize Blog and register your interest by completing a membership form.
- Like our Fb page and register your interest
- Email your registration if you could not register through the blog or the FB page